Thursday, December 21, 2006

Snow days

Hopefully everyone is making the most of the snow. I know my dog and my little girl Stella are having fun with it. Whenever something like this occurs it always reminds me of the simpler and in many ways better life of people in other cultures where the drive to work and to occupy every waking moment in a productive capacity is not as prevalent as it is here. Already today I've been involved in community building with my neighbors in the mutual effort to clear sidewalks and driveways. I live in the suburbs where such face to face interaction is rare. It's good for people with different ideas of the world to find common ground and to identify as humans. Any other realizations going on out there?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Andy and fellow snow bunnies...
I was staring out the kitchen window today, at a 5 ft. snow drift, unable to log onto blackboard, and thinking about how, for the past 2 months I've so looked forward to this week, the Ecuador kick-off, and now that the date's here, it's not happening. I guess my realization is all the planning in the world still doesn't put us in control of the situation. I suppose this won't be the last time I say that over the next 3 weeks...

Anonymous said...

We walked to the grocery store yesterday, and I loved seeing all the people out and walking in the street. It was also cool to see the democratizing effect the snow had on public space - people and cars in the streets, definitely a sense of shared experience that you don't normally feel with other pedestrians.